mdymes Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ipsmd and idsd not talking - Winsock 10060

Hi,

I have been fighting a losing battle. As of recently, I have been plagued with iPrint problems. The product has worked without a single incident for many years, suddenly not so much. It starts with the call "nobody can print". When people go to print, the application locks up. If you try and install a printer, long delay before you are granted with a winsock 10060 error. I have narrowed down the issue to a communication or some other issue with the Driver store.

Parts of the equation
2x iPrint Manager Servers - Running OES 2018 with the latest patches as of 3 days ago.
1x of these runs the papercut application server
1x runs the papercut agent or collector
Driver store was running on both of these servers (but not at the same time - independantly)
iPrint Client x 6.16.03_FTF_NOV18 - Deployed on everything
System serves 600 network printers that print 12,000 sheets a day

twice, when this happened, I was able to restart the print manager / Driver Store / Apache / Tomcat and get everything up and running. The last 2 times, I could not get it back.

The Following things have been done.

1st attempt - Usual OES tricks, Updates, Certificate recreation script, common proxy fix, reboots - This worked for about 2 weeks
2nd attempt - Move the IDSD daemon from the 1st print manager server to the second, shut down the driver store on the first - this worked for about 2 weeks as well

Current attempt (work done last night) - Spin up a new OES 2018 server, Setup the Driver store on this server, copy all drivers to it. Point the 2x print managers to this for Drivers and shut down the existing Driver stores.
Followed TID Document ID https://support.microfocus.com/kb/doc.php?id=3484700 - Reset the modipp folder on both print managers -
Added novell-idsd as a monitored process to my zenoss setup

When the problem occurs, I have very little breadcrumbs to follow. Journalctl shows nothing, apache logs do not have anything outstanding that I can tell.

Could it be there is a yet to be released patch that I am fighting some bad code?
0 Likes
3 Replies
BSajovic Contributor.
Contributor.

Re: ipsmd and idsd not talking - Winsock 10060

Ar you sure it is not a workstation side problem ? What version of windows ? Does reinstall of iprint client help ?
0 Likes
mdymes Absent Member.
Absent Member.

BSajovic;2495033 wrote:
Ar you sure it is not a workstation side problem ? What version of windows ? Does reinstall of iprint client help ?

I really don't think so. All of a suddenn, 600 printers will stop. nobody can get a single job out. While this is going on, I can ping, http, ssh, whatever to the offending server. While the driver store and manager were on the same box, I was able to run a wireshark and had bi-directional communication to the server.

This is both Windows 10 v1709 and Windows 7, both 64 bit.

Did not try to re-Install the iPrint client, did not seem like that would do much.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On 08-02-19 13:54, mdymes wrote:
>

I was able to restart the print manager /
> Driver Store / Apache / Tomcat and get everything up and running. The
> last 2 times, I could not get it back.

Why not? What error did you get in ipsmd.log?
Change ipsmd log from warning to info in
/etc/opt/novell/iprint/conf/iprintconf.properties

server_log_level=info

That will show more info when ipsmd is starting

> The Following things have been done.
>
> 1st attempt - Usual OES tricks, Updates, Certificate recreation script,
> common proxy fix, reboots - This worked for about 2 weeks
> 2nd attempt - Move the IDSD daemon from the 1st print manager server to
> the second, shut down the driver store on the first - this worked for
> about 2 weeks as well
>
> Current attempt (work done last night) - Spin up a new OES 2018 server,
> Setup the Driver store on this server, copy all drivers to it. Point
> the 2x print managers to this for Drivers and shut down the existing
> Driver stores.
> Followed TID Document ID
> https://support.microfocus.com/kb/doc.php?id=3484700 - Reset the modipp
> folder on both print managers -
> Added novell-idsd as a monitored process to my zenoss setup
>
> When the problem occurs, I have very little breadcrumbs to follow.
> Journalctl shows nothing, apache logs do not have anything outstanding
> that I can tel

When problem occurs:

1. Enable ipptrace on the client. Tid7007023
2. Install wireshark and start capturing
3. install the supportutils-plugin-iprint-3.1.0-0.noarch.rpm if not yet
installed on server
4. Duplicate the problem when trying to print
5. Once problem arise, stop lan trace, go to server and type (case
sensitive):

# iPrintInfo -b

authenticate using an user with admin rights in FDN in dot format. It
will create an iprint info txt file.

With the info in the lan trace, the c:/ndps directory and the iprint
info txt file should be enough info to see why it fails

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.