nwadmin Absent Member.
Absent Member.
4218 views

mac ppd files

Hi all

I keep getting this error

iPrint encountered a problem trying to install the printer
The filter(s) specified in the PPD could not be found/resolved.

I then found this wesite which tested the ppd files that I have which failed

Test PPD File - Common UNIX Printing System Test PPD File - CUPS

this site also has drivers that work for most of our printers

but I need a ppd file that works in iprint mac versions for the lexmark c780dn and c532

surely I am not the only one getting these errors with ppd files

please help

Brad
0 Likes
7 Replies
Not applicable

Re: mac ppd files

nwadmin;1905404 wrote:
Hi all

I keep getting this error

iPrint encountered a problem trying to install the printer
The filter(s) specified in the PPD could not be found/resolved.

I then found this wesite which tested the ppd files that I have which failed

Test PPD File - Common UNIX Printing System Test PPD File - CUPS

this site also has drivers that work for most of our printers

but I need a ppd file that works in iprint mac versions for the lexmark c780dn and c532

surely I am not the only one getting these errors with ppd files

please help

Brad


Where did you get your current ppd files thats giving the issue?

Have you tried looking here:

Index of /download/PPD/Lexmark

Cheerz
IanB
0 Likes
lehmanp00 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: mac ppd files

We too are having this problem with many different printer models. We use all HP and many of HP's Color Printers ppd drivers do not install with OES2 sp2 iPrint. I have tried drivers from HP.com, OS X 10.5 and 10.6. Our solution currently is to keep our Netware iPrint servers running and have all of our Macs use printers from them.

This is a real problem, any timeline or solution for fixing this issue? Should someone burn a ticket with Novell on this??
0 Likes
Not applicable

Re: mac ppd files

lehmanp00;1906569 wrote:
We too are having this problem with many different printer models. We use all HP and many of HP's Color Printers ppd drivers do not install with OES2 sp2 iPrint. I have tried drivers from HP.com, OS X 10.5 and 10.6. Our solution currently is to keep our Netware iPrint servers running and have all of our Macs use printers from them.

This is a real problem, any timeline or solution for fixing this issue? Should someone burn a ticket with Novell on this??


I'm curious - I don't want to get bitten by this if we move to OES2. Are you saying the same ppd file uploads to iPrint on the OES netware, but not OES linux?

Thanks
IanB
0 Likes
lehmanp00 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: mac ppd files

We have 3 Netware iPrint servers and 3 SLES OES2 iprint servers. Migrating to OES2 SLES was easy. Except that the MAC ppd's won't install on 10.4, 10.5 or 10.6 Macs with printers from the SLES servers. We keep getting the filter error on the clients when we try to install the printers. The drivers upload to the Driver Store ok (not called a broker anymore) but they won't install on the clients (with any of the newer versions of the Mac iprint client).
With B/W printers that is OK because there was a Generic Postscipt driver I found on the Mac's that does work but it doesn't work with the color printers. They install and print, with that driver, but not in color!

So, we are keeping our old Netware servers running for the Macs.
0 Likes
Not applicable

Re: mac ppd files

lehmanp00;1906662 wrote:
We have 3 Netware iPrint servers and 3 SLES OES2 iprint servers. Migrating to OES2 SLES was easy. Except that the MAC ppd's won't install on 10.4, 10.5 or 10.6 Macs with printers from the SLES servers. We keep getting the filter error on the clients when we try to install the printers. The drivers upload to the Driver Store ok (not called a broker anymore) but they won't install on the clients (with any of the newer versions of the Mac iprint client).
With B/W printers that is OK because there was a Generic Postscipt driver I found on the Mac's that does work but it doesn't work with the color printers. They install and print, with that driver, but not in color!

So, we are keeping our old Netware servers running for the Macs.


Thanks for the info - thats great to know - but very worrying indeed with netware general support ending in march 2010, though I guess OES2 linux current and is in general support, so if this is logged with Novell the issue should get looked at...

Regards
IanB
0 Likes
rhagan Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: mac ppd files

We're having this problem as well. We just began subnetting our printers to salvage some IPs so the IPrint server (OES2 SP2) is the only machine currently in the new subnet/vlan to communicate with them.

The printer in question (first one we've done with Mac) is a Xerox Phaser 8560DN. Same filter error when trying to install.

Of course what DOES work is running the installer package dmg on the workstation to get the local drivers on, and then running the IPrint install link to get the connectivity part in place to the new subnet.

But that's obviously not optimal.
0 Likes
petefuller Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: mac ppd files

I've had alot of issues with uploading Xerox ppd files, I don't know if they don't verify or what - it seems that there are issues with invalid enteries with the PPD files themself. Running cupstestppd on the mac with the xerox workcenter 7428 I know comes out with errors due to translations.
My experience has been just with SP1 sofar, haven't upgraded any of our production servers yet. For the color Xeroxes, though - the Apple Color Laserwriter 600 driver seems to work ok for color postscript printers as a generic.

As for situations where a machine needs a local install as well as a ppd file to get filters in place (a la our Dell 1320s, etc that do not have built in cups filters), as a hack I've been putting the driver install DMG file on a webserver, then putting HTML in the description, so someone can hit the (i) link on the far right of the ipp page, then click the link to get the drivers - at least until we go thru another reimage cycle and can ge that driver on the base image.

I also discovered, you can sometimes upload via the command line from the mac and get drivers into iprint, instead of having to have a linux machine to upload drivers. Still wish novell would get a normal upload link working - seems like since its just putting a plain text file in a directory, it shouldn't be that hard.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.