Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1965 views

page collation and iprint.ini setting

OK. I have found that workstation printers will collate (with hotfixes
884897 and 893225 and lastest iPrint client) - but user printers do
not.

That is the setting in the iprint.ini file on the server - and changing
the value of 'allowuserprinters'.

We run with this set to 1. I found that an workstation admin user
could collate, where as a limited user could not. Changing the value
to 2 mean't it did not work for an local admin user either....

I'm guessing there is something in the registry that if different for a
user printer and a workstation printer - so this maybe a 'rights'
problem in the registry?


(Also there is an issue I have placed with NTS regarding rights that
users have to printers that are installed via a policy, with the
allowuserprinters set to zero, and yet a limited rights user can still
delete the printer! Not that crucial since when the policy runs again
it adds the printer back again - but the settng of zero seems to be
ignored!).

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
IanB

0 Likes
5 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

If you want collation to work with user printers you must use version 2
printer drivers only. With version 3 printer drivers Microsoft made some
changes to how/when the printer ready data is generated and that screwed
up all network print provders (including microsoft IPP). They made a fix
for only workstation printers (with KB884897). So that being said, you
will have to get the version 2 printer driver from say an NT box or off
the printer vendors site and upload that to the 2k or xp tab to make that
work.

> OK. I have found that workstation printers will collate (with hotfixes
> 884897 and 893225 and lastest iPrint client) - but user printers do
> not.
>
> That is the setting in the iprint.ini file on the server - and changing
> the value of 'allowuserprinters'.
>
> We run with this set to 1. I found that an workstation admin user
> could collate, where as a limited user could not. Changing the value
> to 2 mean't it did not work for an local admin user either....
>
> I'm guessing there is something in the registry that if different for a
> user printer and a workstation printer - so this maybe a 'rights'
> problem in the registry?
>
>
> (Also there is an issue I have placed with NTS regarding rights that
> users have to printers that are installed via a policy, with the
> allowuserprinters set to zero, and yet a limited rights user can still
> delete the printer! Not that crucial since when the policy runs again
> it adds the printer back again - but the settng of zero seems to be
> ignored!).
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Regards
> IanB
>


0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

iprint@novell.com wrote:
> If you want collation to work with user printers you must use version 2
> printer drivers only.


Version 2? Whats that?

Timo Pietilä
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Look at:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/83a14d0e-6119-4940-a5a5-0a14b05ca6ba1033.mspx?mfr=true

Problem is HP don't do Kernel drivers that support Nt4.0, the driver
I'm struggling with is for the latest HP LJP3005. I know I can
probably find a backward compatible driver from NT4 but why should I
for this one printer?

Its fustrating when you read all the documentation and you end up
thinking how does this all work in the first place:

The MS print system is designed in a way is does not allow page
collation from the hardware end.

Yet somehow there are MS hotfixes that fix some collation issues but
not all.

And PS drivers fix some collation issues but again not all.

Yours confusedly....
IanB


Timo Pietilä wrote:

> iprint@novell.com wrote:
> > If you want collation to work with user printers you must use version 2
> > printer drivers only.

>
> Version 2? Whats that?
>
> Timo Pietilä


0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Can you try using the setting #3 in the iPrint.ini file: Only add
WORKSTATION PRINTERS. No rights required.
We are evaluating the HP p3005x and do not have any issues, but again
we are using the iPrint.ini install printer setting #3.

ibelton wrote:
> Look at:
>
> http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/83a14d0e-6119-4940-a5a5-0a14b05ca6ba1033.mspx?mfr=true
>
> Problem is HP don't do Kernel drivers that support Nt4.0, the driver
> I'm struggling with is for the latest HP LJP3005. I know I can
> probably find a backward compatible driver from NT4 but why should I
> for this one printer?
>
> Its fustrating when you read all the documentation and you end up
> thinking how does this all work in the first place:
>
> The MS print system is designed in a way is does not allow page
> collation from the hardware end.
>
> Yet somehow there are MS hotfixes that fix some collation issues but
> not all.
>
> And PS drivers fix some collation issues but again not all.
>
> Yours confusedly....
> IanB
>
>
> Timo Pietilä wrote:
>
> > iprint@novell.com wrote:
> > > If you want collation to work with user printers you must use version2
> > > printer drivers only.

> >
> > Version 2? Whats that?
> >
> > Timo Pietilä


0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes - you are correct, as 'iprint@novell.com' implied, and as I tested,
a setting of 3 in the iprint.ini does work.

User printers are something people are now used to on campus with our
managed ZEN desktop and roaming profiles, so to change from user to
workstation printers would be quite a big thing.

If this effected all printers drivers it would be a easy change to
justity, but for one driver....

Regards
IanB



jjlewis74@gmail.com wrote:

> Can you try using the setting #3 in the iPrint.ini file: Only add
> WORKSTATION PRINTERS. No rights required.
> We are evaluating the HP p3005x and do not have any issues, but again
> we are using the iPrint.ini install printer setting #3.
>
> ibelton wrote:
> > Look at:
> >
> > http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/83a14d0e-6119-4940-a5a5-0a14b05ca6ba1033.mspx?mfr=true
> >
> > Problem is HP don't do Kernel drivers that support Nt4.0, the driver
> > I'm struggling with is for the latest HP LJP3005. I know I can
> > probably find a backward compatible driver from NT4 but why should I
> > for this one printer?
> >
> > Its fustrating when you read all the documentation and you end up
> > thinking how does this all work in the first place:
> >
> > The MS print system is designed in a way is does not allow page
> > collation from the hardware end.
> >
> > Yet somehow there are MS hotfixes that fix some collation issues but
> > not all.
> >
> > And PS drivers fix some collation issues but again not all.
> >
> > Yours confusedly....
> > IanB
> >
> >
> > Timo Pietilä wrote:
> >
> > > iprint@novell.com wrote:
> > > > If you want collation to work with user printers you must use version 2
> > > > printer drivers only.
> > >
> > > Version 2? Whats that?
> > >
> > > Timo Pietilä


0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.