Highlighted
New Member.

printers show processing or stopped

Somehow my iprint server has crashed again. Some printers are working fine. Others are showing either stopped or processing. Error messages in messages show:
SMLoadModule: the iPrint Manager was not able to exec Gateway module /opt/novell/iprint/bin/iprintgw for Printer Agent Library-laser. Error (13 - Permission denied) returned while doing execl().

for at least one of the printers that show processing. Any new printer objects that I create show the same behaviour. ndsrepair shows no errors. Ive checked permissions on the iprint directorys and an ls -la shows avahi user and iprint group. If I do a chown iprint for a file, it still shows avahi. If I doe a uname iprint it comes back avahi. Im not sure if permissions has gotten hosed. Ive googled around and cant find anything. Server has 68 printers running and supports a couple hundred users. In short HELP.

ddh
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
New Member.

Re: printers show processing or stopped

Im also seeing the following in regards to printers that wont work: PSMLoadModule: the iPrint Manager was not able to exec Gateway module for each printer that is marked as stopped or processing.
0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

I think Im getting closer to the problem. For some reason the iprintgw wont load when the ipsmd is loaded. I dont see any error messages, but do see a lime PSMLoadModule: the iPrint Manager was not able to exec Gateway module /opt/novell/iprint/bin/iprintgw for Printer Agent buslab-laser-463. Error (13 - Permission denied) returned while doing execl(). for different printers. I can manually load the gateway as root, and printers show idle or printing. Any ideas on this?
0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Getting closer. When the ipsmd loads and creates the pid file, the file is owned bythe group avahi. I can change the ownership and manually start the iprintgw and printers start working. avahi was the owner of the /var/opt/iprint/printmanager.psm/ files also. Im thinking about deleting that group and seeing if it starts correctly, but I would like to try and figure out how a reboot of the server on Friday (after being up 600+ days) caused the permissions to get hosed. I did try to get the novell-kanaka installed on this server last fall and Im wondering if that had some effect on any of these issues. If I get this fixed, Ill post what I find. In the meantime if any experts have ideas Im still open.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On 08/14/2013 02:36 AM, ddhottinger wrote:
>
> Getting closer. When the ipsmd loads and creates the pid file, the file
> is owned bythe group avahi. I can change the ownership and manually
> start the iprintgw and printers start working. avahi was the owner of
> the /var/opt/iprint/printmanager.psm/ files also. Im thinking about
> deleting that group and seeing if it starts correctly, but I would like
> to try and figure out how a reboot of the server on Friday (after being
> up 600+ days) caused the permissions to get hosed. I did try to get the
> novell-kanaka installed on this server last fall and Im wondering if
> that had some effect on any of these issues. If I get this fixed, Ill
> post what I find. In the meantime if any experts have ideas Im still
> open.
>
>

check ownership and permissions as tid7002678 shows. Execute what tid
advice to put back the default and correct permissions
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.