GDPR

Hi all,

for those of us that are doing business inside the EU there is a new regulation coming up called GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation)
It will be implemented by May next year and many of my customers are worried/interested what that meens to them regarding email, log files, E-dir, file server and so forth.
When it comes to all Microfocus products from old Novell to new HPE, what can you do and what do you do to be GDPR compliant?
And what products can you use to relief customers pain with GDPR?

/Lelle

Tags:

  • It sounds like you are looking for this kind of information:

    https://software.microfocus.com/en-us/marketing/gdpr


    --
    Good luck.

    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    show your appreciation and click on the star below.

    If you want to send me a private message, please let me know in the
    forum as I do not use the web interface often.
  • Remember this: The GDPR is really the same laws and rules that have
    been in effect in the Scandinavian countries since the 1980's...

    All that has changed is that there has been clarifications and that
    there can actually be consequences if you break the regs, so bacically:

    - Make sure you do not store studd you do not need
    - Ask yourself: Why do we store this. If you do not have an answer,
    then don't
    - Make sure you document the procedures for handling personal data.

    Also note that there might be other laws that regulate what you can do.
    Say that an employee asks to be removed from your system, but laws
    regarding accounting might say otherwise..

    - Anders


  • On 06.12.2017 10:44, lelle wrote:
    >
    > Hi all,
    >
    > for those of us that are doing business inside the EU there is a new
    > regulation coming up called GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation)
    > It will be implemented by May next year and many of my customers are
    > worried/interested what that meens to them regarding email, log files,
    > E-dir, file server and so forth.
    > When it comes to all Microfocus products from old Novell to new HPE,
    > what can you do and what do you do to be GDPR compliant?
    > And what products can you use to relief customers pain with GDPR?


    GDPR is like data security. Everybody telling you it can be solved by
    products or technology is lying and doesn't understand it. GDPR means
    you must *understand* it. You must know what rights your users and every
    other person you do business with has, and you must enable your
    processes to deal with those rights.

    It all starts with a lawyer. And a *LOT* of coffein and tranquilizers at
    the same time.

    Some examples: Everybody you personally email with has the right to
    demand from you to delete all traces of every communication you ever
    did. However, there may be regulations in place that require you to
    archive every such communication for a specified amount of time.

    Which one wins? No technology (at this point) can tell you.

    CU,
    --
    Massimo Rosen
    Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
    No emails please!
    http://www.cfc-it.de
  • On 06.12.2017 20:05, Anders Gustafsson wrote:
    > Remember this: The GDPR is really the same laws and rules that have
    > been in effect in the Scandinavian countries since the 1980's...


    And most of them in Germany. And most everybody simply ignores ever
    since, and my gut feeling is that nothing will change in that regard.


    CU,
    --
    Massimo Rosen
    Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
    No emails please!
    http://www.cfc-it.de
  • Massimo Rosen wrote:
    > GDPR is like data security. Everybody telling you it can be solved by
    > products or technology is lying and doesn't understand it


    Well said! I get distinctive Y2K-feelings here. There are a lot of
    companies that are out to make a quick buck here.

    The best info I have gotten so far, apart from that I wrote a study
    material describing the Finnish data protection act in 1985.. Is a
    briefing we had from a lawyer employed by the finnish telcos. Bottom
    line: No-one knows how it will play out, but the positive thing is that
    people are at least tinking about it.

    - Anders


  • Massimo Rosen wrote:
    > And most of them in Germany


    Sorry, did not mean to exclude anyone :)

    - Anders


  • On 07.12.2017 20:33, Anders Gustafsson wrote:
    > Massimo Rosen wrote:
    >> And most of them in Germany

    >
    > Sorry, did not mean to exclude anyone :)
    >


    That part wasn't the core part of my message.. ;)

    CU,
    --
    Massimo Rosen
    Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
    No emails please!
    http://www.cfc-it.de
  • In article <lelle.892s3c@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com>, Lelle wrote:
    > for those of us that are doing business inside the EU there is a new
    > regulation coming up called GDPR


    Not just business withing the EU, but even just with EU citizens and
    residents. While it is largely a tuning and repackaging of some other
    existing regulations, this time it as teeth with huge fines.
    With the rest of the world looking on to reproduce it in many other
    regulations, we may all end up dealing with what are basically some
    common sense measures to take.
    The trick will be how heavily it is enforced as the baseline of 10
    Million Euros penalty for compliance failure, will certainly get some
    attention.


    Andy of
    http://KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
    Knowledge Partner
    http://forums.novell.com/member.php/75037-konecnya
    If you find a post helpful and are logged in the Web interface, please
    show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. Thanks!